Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:07:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ross Lippert <ripper@eskimo.com>
To:        wouter@pair.com
Cc:        tomi.hasa@tut.fi, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Readme for Windows Users

>book.html.tar.gz   Handbook in html format and gzip compression
>book.pdf.gz        Handbook in pdf format and gzip compression
>book.ps.gz         Handbook in postscript format and gzip compression
>[...]
>
>Or how do you see it?

Why not?  Although the naming convention chosen may be obvious to
you and I, perhaps it is not so plain to someone else.  Is it wrong
to err on the side of moronity?

I can imagine that as Windows becomes more proficient at hiding file
extensions from its users, that its users will become less accustomed
to what those extensions mean.  Perhaps this individual was not used
to seeing a file-type by its extension.  Certainly the extension of
extensions (.pdf.gz and .ps.gz) is something fairly uncommon in the
Windows world and could confuse a Windows user.  I'd hate to see such
a person deprived of their chance to try FreeBSD because of that.

Just $0.2.

-r