Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:25:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD Security <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: security fixes

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, twig les wrote:

> Absolute agreement.

    OK, then.  Ante up, say, $7000 apiece to get two people working on
this full-time, and you might get 4.6.1 in six weeks.[1]

    As an alternative, for your customers, you might build a custom
release from a known working snapshot of -STABLE that you've tested
the bejeezus out of.

--
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com
Principal Consultant

[1]  I am neither a committer, nor a member of core, nor a member of
     the RE team.[2]  I can't make this commitment on their behalf.  I
     wrote this to illustrate to you what kind of effort is involved,
     and what kind of time frame is involved.[3][4]

[2]  I was the RE at my last job.  I know firsthand that it ain't just
     turning a crank on a CVS snapshot to get a release.

[3]  Unless the FreeBSD Project is willing to postpone or drop
     5.0-DP2, which I highly doubt, or to postpone or drop 5.0-RELEASE,
     which I highly doubt, or to postpone or drop 4.7-RELEASE, which I
     highly doubt.  There's too much going on in this *volunteer*
     project to cater to everyone's whim, desire, or hobby horse.

[4]  The effort to put some of these changes into RELENG_4_6 is
     somewhat less, but still nontrivial and, again, it's not my call.
     It's far more likely to happen if you offer to do some or all of
     the work.