Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:48:16 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Advanced Linux Sound Driver (ALSA) for FreeBSD ???

Hi !

Does somebody already the idea of porting ALSA to FreeBSD ?

	http://www.alsa-project.org/

Beneath FreeBSD making music is one of my favourite hobbies.
Currently I'm bound to windows for doing homerecording to
get pleasent recording programs.

I noticed that there are also some great homerecording
tools available in OpenSource fashion, but they are written
to use ALSA.

For me personally ALSA looks like a new de facto standard
in the Linux world. SuSE in Germany already ships wth ALSA.

ALSA has great soundcard support. Even the high end soundcards
like from Hammerfall with DSPs are supported. List of supported
cards:

	http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/

ALSA even comes with an OSS compatibility library, which sounds
to me, that older programs using OSS style are still supported
to work, which sounds good to me.

Is there some ongoing work/effort on this ???

Best regards

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                             /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
http://www.64bits.de                     <  Powered by FreeBSD  >