Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:32:15 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   timestamping kernel messages

Hi,

what do you think about using timestamps in kernel messages?

Long:
I think it would be useful to have timestamps in kernel warnings, e.g.
(sa0:ahc0:0:1:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM command to clear this state
should be prefixed by a timestamp to be able to determine the importance
of messages / make it easier to correlate this messages with other
events just by looking at the console.

I know, this breaks syslogs ability to group messages ("last message
repeated X times") and the timestamp already exits in e.g.
/var/log/messages, but I think it may be useful in some scenarios (e.g.
only remote syslog available but you have to hurry, or emergency failure
diagnostics with a reboot slave on the phone while you are sitting in
the bath tub) to at least make it a kernel option.

Is there enough support for this feature to get it into the tree, and if
yes, where should I start to look to implement this feature?

I don't mind if someone else is interested enough to do it on their own,
I have enough on my TODO list already, but feel free to contact me for
my feature requests if you want to do the work.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   "One world, one web, one program"  -- Microsoft promotional ad
         "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuehrer"  -- Adolf Hitler