Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 18:00:06 +0000
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: user dead but appears still logged in in 'w' output

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 07:34:49AM -0500, david wrote:
> On Monday 04 November 2002 06:31, Jez Hancock wrote:
> > I have a problem with a user who was idle for a long period
> > of time which I killed off by terminating the associated
> > login process for that user's ssh connection.
>
> Try would also have a shell session going, kill that as well.
Well, what I actually did was find out the login shell session pid
belonging to the user in question and 'kill -9' that proc  - after
this the rest of the processes spawned by
the login did all die as well.  Unfortunately the user still appeared
to be logged in in 'w' output.  Whether you can class it as a 'bug' or
not I don't know, since killing a user's login shell isn't the de facto
method of forcefully logging a user out (or is it!?;)

I've been running idled all day though and it seems to be keeping things
tidy, nice utility.

cheers,
Jez