Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 17:50:48 +0100
From:      Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-www@FreeBSD.doc
Subject:   Re: Putting translated release notes onto the web site

Hi,
[broadening the focus to inlcude -www, due to the silence on -doc]
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 10:22:07AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:

> I usually use the image target from
> src/release/doc/share/examples/Makefile.relnotesng to get all of the
> html files in a directory;

I'll have to try that one...

> The SGML files you referred to are, for the most part, "glue" to hook
> together the different architecture-dependent files.  The only change
> between versions is typically the version number.

Yeah, but there is not much of a point in translating/creating the glue
for versions that do not have DE release notes.

> I vaguely remember thinking that the en release documentation was
> already implicitly "covered" by a LANGCODE prefix because it lived in
> the en_US part of the Web site.  Thus we didn't need to add another
> LANGCODE prefix to the pathname.  If that's true, then the de version of
> the release documentation would just live under http://www.freebsd.org/
> de/relnotes/CURRENT (for example).

Hmm, I would have to do some experiments on my local box with that.
The fact that the local de extensions to www.de.freebsd.org live in
http://www.de.freebsd.org/de while 'official' de stuff lives in
http://www.de.freebsd.org/de/de will make things 'intresting'

> > ...and there is a maze of symbolic links and Apache redirects to make
> > make all the old locations work as well.  I want to avoid something
> > like this for the release notes.
>
> In the case of the Handbook and FAQ, there should be no symbolic links
> left, and I don't think there should be any redirects either (someone
> correct me if I'm wrong).  Much effort was put into making sure that
> that hyperlinks from other files actually worked.

Well, there are at least three locations where one can find the FAQ
and the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/faq/
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/

> > Additionally, it may be neccessary to make some small changes on
> > www.  If I read www/en/relnotes/Makefile correctly, only the US
> > version has been checked out on www in /usr/relnotes/doc
> > and /usr/relnotes4/doc, this would have to be changed to support
> > the translations.
>
> As I read the webupdate script on the Web server, I think that all of
> src/release/doc is checked out and available, but it's been awhile since
> I've thought about this.

Uh, is this 'webupdate' available somewhere in our CVS repo?  If not,
can you slip me an up-to-date copy (or tell me how joe comitter gets
access to the web server for a long hard look at things)?

> For everyone else here on doc, I asked Udo to post here because we were
> discussing it and I wasn't sure how to proceed.  :-)

Seems we are still in the same situation, that's why I included -www
this time.

/s/Udo
--
He could be a poster child for retroactive birth control.