Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:35:45 +0900 (JST)
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        nate@root.org
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, rwatson@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: www/en/releases/5.0R todo.sgml

Hi,

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Ollivier Robert wrote:
> > According to Alfred Perlstein:
> > > kernel: witness and invariants
> > > userland: malloc
> > >
> > > any others?
> >
> > Working ACPI ? (although it may be too hard to do fro 5.0-R). Far too many
> > machines have issues with ACPI :-(
>
> Or we should disable it by default for GENERIC.  Remember how long apm was
> disabled by default?  Actually, I think it still is.  Every machine I have
> has acpi disabled because of stability issues.

Personally, I don't mind for disabling acpi by default for new 5-stable
branch, also believe nobody complain about that now.
We already learn that there are too many buggy ACPI BIOS implementation
for non-Windows OSes, you have to fix them to use it on FreeBSD, but I
don't think many people can do this.
If your ACPI BIOS check OS type (try; acpidump | grep _OS_), you might
need to do something.  The black list feature (for non-Windows) might be
good idea for avoiding confusion.

For 6-current branch, I think we'd better to remain it enabled to make our
ACPI system stable.  No efforts makes no progress.

I think we need more ACPI developers.  Most of initial members became
busy for their jobs in real world as far as I know.
# It doesn't mean that I am very free :-)
We need new blood.  Anyone?

In general, ACPI system is working very stable for some machines which
is hacked (including ACPI BIOS) and tested well by many people.  However
it's almost impossible to hack all machines and fix its own specific
problems...
Also, development resources are limited.  For example, none of ACPI
developers has VAIO.

Hmmm...