Date:      Sat, 7 Dec 2002 11:48:00 -0500
From:      Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pdftex problems?

On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 04:07:06PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> I've tried that.  The problem I ran into was that no matter how high I
> pushed the numbers, pdftex always bombed out in the same place.  This
> was explained by someone else, on another mailing list (I think, this
> was a year or so ago, IIRC) that I was running in to other, hard coded
> limits in TeX.  So we switched to using ps2pdf for the Handbook.
>
> I would love to be proved wrong about this.

Hm.  I don't know what I'm doing differently.

I'm running 4.7-RELEASE-p2, and I've installed tetex within the last
month along with docproj-jadetex and hugelatex.  I did a 'make pdf'
in /usr/doc within the last week.  With the configuration in place on
my system, I got a series of failures that I fixed by gradually
replacing the configuration options with the ones found in ports/jadetex/files:
          hash_extra = 60000
          pool_size = 1000000
          max_strings = 70000
          save_size = 10000

I'm a bit of a tex newbie, so I don't fully understand why this would
work for me, and not for you.  I also don't understand why these values
would not have been updated in texmf.cnf after the jadetex install...

In any case, if I can help identify a way to migrate away from ps2pdf,
let me know.

Z.