Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 2002 19:30:19 -0600
From:      Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
To:        "Jin Guojun [NCS]" <j_guojun@lbl.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimal conf for two HDDs + 1 CD on 2 UDMA/100 channels

Jin,

Now after reading your question, I do realise something is
rong. My motherboard is a Super Micro P4SBE.
http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/845/P4SBE.htm
It says it has "Dual Ultra DMA 100 IDE Bus Master". However, only one
of the slots is blue in color. Then the manual says elsewhere
that "The 80-wire ATA66/100 IDE hard disk drive cable that came
with your system has two connectors to support two drives".

This would probably mean that I can only use one capable for the
harddisks anyways. Both harddisks are ATA-100.

The cable itself (that came with the MB) isn't long enough to
connect both the drives, so I went to Frys and got a longer
(36") cable. Apparently that doesn't have a 'blue' end,
although the store confirmed it is UDMA/100 capable. Is this
normal?

BTW, HDDs are
http://www.westerndigital.com/products/products.asp?DriveID=12
and