Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2003 01:25:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      mike mcgranahan <mike_mcgranahan@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: automatic standby after idle timeout

--- David Fleck <dcf@aracnet.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, mike mcgranahan wrote:
> > under windows it is possible to configure the
> system
> > to enter APM standby after a certain amount of
> system
> > inactivity.  in linux their is a program called
> sleepd
> > which will initiate an APM standby after a
> > configurable period of system inactivity, which
> works
> > both on the console as well as while X is running.
>  is
> > there any way to achieve the same effect under
> > freebsd, where the system will enter standby
> after,
> > say, 10 minutes of no activity?
>
> try 'man xset'. grep for the dpms options.  In my
> AfterStep configuration,
> I use
> xset dpms 600 1200 1800
>
> to set standby (10 min) suspend (20 min) and off (30
> min) times.

thanks for the info.  i do use xset for controlling
dpms in X, but i am interested in something that will
a) put the system into standby, not just the monitor,
and b) work regardless of X running.

any other suggestions or ideas?  i'm finally switching
from windows to unix "full-time", so i am stuck
choosing between freebsd and linux (gentoo).  i really
like freebsd's integration, configuration,
documentation and ports system, but auto-standby is
important to me.  thie absence of this feature seems
to me to be a significant, though not vital,
omission--particularly useful in computer labs.  is
anyone aware of a more general daemon or facility that
can execute a command after a certain period of system
idleness... perhaps some modified cron?

> --
> David Fleck
> dcf@aracnet.com