Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:47:18 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unclean sync in current

> Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:20:45 -0800
> From: Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
>
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:14:26PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > I've been seeing this for a couple of weeks since I updated my laptop to
> > CURRENT. I do a normal shutdown (-p or -r) and reboot. The shutdown
> > looked normal, with no problems reported with the sync, but, when the
> > system is rebooted, the partitions are all shown as possibly
> > unclean. From my dmesg:
> > Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s3a
> > WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> > WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> > WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
> > WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
> > WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
> >
> > All disks are mounted with soft-updates enabled.
> >
> > I don't see any other reports of this. Is this unique to my system?
> >

> Go to single user mode and run "fsck -f -p" on each filesystem.
> See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=544913+548378+/usr\
> /local/www/db/text/2003/freebsd-current/20030323.freebsd-current

Actually, 'fsck -f -p' didn't help at all. I had to do fsck_ffs on every
partition (as per the message cited).

Looks to me like this belongs in UPDATING, although it does not break
anything. Maybe in the v4 to current update instructions.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)