Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:33:10 -0700
From:      Doug Silver <dsilver@urchin.com>
To:        Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem logging in after upgrade to 4.8-Stable

On Tuesday 15 April 2003 05:44 pm, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Doug Silver wrote:
> > Here's some more information that I realize is probably relevant.  I've
> > attempted to strip out the openssl/openssh out of the base system,
> > including libcrypto and libssl so I can track it through the ports area.
>
> That would be the problem.  You probably lack the crypto libs needed to
> check the "old" users.  The new users are probably using a different
> encryption method in the password file.  Look at /etc/master.passwd and
> you should see a difference in the crypted password.
>
> As far as I know, you *can't* pull libcrypto out and replace it from ports
> as there is no such port...  I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong
> about that, but even if I am, it still sounds like a bad idea.
>
> Charles

libcrypto is part of the openssl port, perhaps you're thinking of libcrypt?

I just figured out where I shot myself in the foot ;\  In my attempt to strip
out libcrypto/libssl out of the build process I commented in "NOSECURE" and
"NOCRYPTO" in /etc/make.conf -- and to ensure it, I removed the source.  So,
that is clearly the wrong thing to do.  Is the preferred method, if I simply
want to ensure that libcrypto and libssl are used from the openssl port, to
remove & symlink them in /usr/lib?  BTW -- I'm not concerned with the few
binaries in the base system that are linked against these libs (e.g.
pkg_sign, pkg_check).

Or, is this a Pandora's box that I just shouldn't open (assuming the ports
system recognizes the various "OPENSSL" settings in /etc/make.conf)?

-doug