Date:      Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:13:37 -0700
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Making a dynamically-linked root

--C6nHA5rIg3zAawEK

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 03:58:46PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>=20
> Gordon Tetlow writes:
>  >=20
>  > There will be a performance hit associated with this. I did a quick
>  > measurement at boot and my boot time (from invocation of /etc/rc to
>  > the login prompt) went from 12 seconds with a static root to 15
>  > seconds with a dynamic root. I have yet to perform a worldstone on
>  > it.
>=20
> Wow!  That's a 25% pessimization.  I'm afraid that other heavily
> scripted and or fork intensive environments may fair just as poorly
> (dynamic web content, SMTP servers, etc) as the startup scripts.

You need to realize that with the advent of rcNG that their are alot
of additional shell invocations. Also bear in mind that your dynamic
web content and SMTP servers are already going to be dynamically linked.
In fact, the thing that will be hardest hit will be the boot scripts.

-gordon

--C6nHA5rIg3zAawEK

--C6nHA5rIg3zAawEK--