Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:03:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   3ware drive errors

Hi,

Yep, I know the 3ware stuff is IDE, but in the past it seemed to be tended
to by the -scsi folks, so I'm hoping this is the appropriate list.

I have a 3Ware 6410 running current firmware with two 30GB WD drives
(model number WD300BB-00CCB0) in a RAID 1 config (mirroring).

Twice in the past few months, 3dm informed me that a drive was dropped
from the mirror.  The message logged was "twe0: AEN: <twed0: drive error>.

If I remove the problem drive, add it, then rebuild, it runs fine for a
month or so (which includes build/install world, etc.).  During the time
of the failure, there's not much happening (no daily runs, no backups,
etc.).  The box is on a UPS, and I've confirmed there's been no activity
in the vicinity of the rack when this happens (ie: no one was moving
equipment around or causing any other physical shock).

Is there any way to get more information about what's happening to this
drive?  It's my understanding that the firmware on the card and the twe
driver both support "SMART" for monitoring the drive for possible
failures, but there have been no log messages regarding "SMART", just the
above "drive error" message.

If anyone can provide some additional troubleshooting help, that would be
much appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

--