Date:      Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:55:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Sean Farley <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        Sean Farley <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
Subject:   Replacing GNU grep revisited

In January, Pedro Giffuni started a thread about replacing GNU's grep in
the system.  Interestingly, I did not know about the grep thread on
hackers until later.  James Howard had interjected in February with
mention that he had gotten patches to speed up freegrep.  I had sent him
those patches in late January, but I have not heard from him since.
Hopefully, he is OK and just busy.

I have placed the patches up on Geocities=B9 for others to try out.  They
get freegrep fairly close to the performance of GNU's grep.  Also
included is a small patch to regex to squeak a bit more performance out
of it, but I am not certain if it actually helps or not.

BTW, Postgres is using a newer version of the regex library--swiped from
TCL--that FreeBSD uses.  It supports multibyte characters.  Is it time
for an update?

=B9 http://www.geocities.com/sean_farley/

Sean

P.S.  Please Cc me as I am not on the list.
sean-freebsd@farley.org