Date:      Fri, 27 Jun 2003 13:52:08 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   alternate system clock has died

--hYooF8G/hrfVAmum

Hi,

I'm getting the message in the subject when I run systat -vm on a lightly
loaded server. Top shows interesting CPU usage %:

CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% id=
le

Some Googling tells me that a fix for this went in around 1998 in
sys/i386/isa/clock.c, see

http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/159/1998/7/0/777198/

(fix verified to be present in RELENG_4_8 which is what the machine is runn=
ing).

Since I'm the only one with this problem I'm assuming some hardware clock h=
as
died, but now I'm trying to find out which one exactly. Could this have to =
do
with the battery-backed CMOS clock? If so how can I know for sure that that
isn't working right?

More information available on request.

--Stijn

--=20
"A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in."
		-- Kim Alm, alt.sysadmin.recovery

--hYooF8G/hrfVAmum

--hYooF8G/hrfVAmum--