Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:49:39 -0800
From:      Michael Dunham <m.dunham@connectingteams.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Printing as a user - FreeBSD, Apsfilter, KDE

hello..

I am using FreeBSD as my desktop.  I'm looking for help to print as a user=
=20
from KDE.  I can generate a test print from Apsfilter just fine in the shel=
l=20
using the setup script.

I think I either do not have a spooler set up right, or a permission perhap=
s.
I also don't really know what I should select for the printer in KDE or if
there should be a command line entry.

I did have the sample lp setup in my printcap file at one point, currently
that is commented out.

I'm Running:
	FreeBSD =E2=80=93 Current (5.1)
	Printer Canon BJC-610
	Parallel /dev/lp0
	LPD on start up
	Ghostscript-gnu

As SU checking for the lpt:
	freebie# dmesg | grep lpt
	lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
	lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
	freebie# ls -l /dev/lpt0
	crw-------  1 root  wheel   16,   0 Oct 29 09:09 /dev/lpt0

=46rom Apsfilter setup:
	Checking permissions of /usr/local/share/apsfilter
	found dir owner=3Droot, ok!
	found dir group=3Dwheel, ok!
	changing permissions of /usr/local/share/apsfilter... done.

	Now we are checking file permissions in spooldir

	Your line printer scheduler's spooldir seems to be: /var/spool/lpd

	drwxrwxrwx  2 root  daemon  512 Oct 17 01:25 /var/spool/lpd

	The Owner of your spooldir seems to be: root
	The Group of your spooldir seems to be: daemon

=46irst time through on test print returns a printer busy and resets printer
Second time through works fine
I reset printers as suggested in setup

=46rom KDE 3.1.4

using OpenOffice =E2=80=93 Writer, from open document
	selected =E2=80=9CGeneric Printer.=E2=80=9D
	Windows fly by but nothing happens.  As I understand it, generic printer
should be lpd and should be captured by Apsfilter.

using Kmail, selected
	print through external program, ps (only possible selection: postscript
printer, reports idle, accepting jobs), print command line empty.
	Reports generating print file, then:
A print error occured. Error message received from system:
Empty print command.

Using Kmail, selecting Generic LPD print system, no device, no option to
 print

Using Kmail, cannot select LPR/LPRng (port not installed at this time, will
not compile on 5.1) =E2=80=93 not an Apsfilter issue obviously.

Using KDE Control Center, peripherals, printer
Print Through External Program, PS_printer (only device available)
Unable to send, empty print command

Any help or config file to check would be greatly appreciated.
=2D-
Regards,

MIKE...
Make your Information your KnowlEDGE