Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:41:35 -0500
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of X?

Bill Moran wrote:
>Miguel Mendez wrote:
>> On the negative side, I don't think having 3 forks is that good
>> (XFree86, Xouvert and this stuff). FWIW, the screenshots sure are
>> pretty :)
>
>Isn't there another project trying to put together a replacement for
>X?

But the freedesktop.org stuff isn't a replacement of X, just further
development of XFree86 in a new direction.  It certainly looks good,
and KeithP can deliver, he is the guy responsible for the antialiased
font support in XFree86 today.  This fork is probably because the
XFree86 people chucked him out.  Hopefully the "best fork" will win,
as when the egcs people forked from gcc and eventually became the
"new" gcc.

Eric Anholt already announced that he's making a separate port of the
X libraries from the freedesktop.org project, which will reduce
compile time in upgrading etc; it sounds like that will also make it
easier to replace the XFree86 X server with the fd.o ones, for people
who want to play with it.

As for "X-replacement" projects like Berlin/Fresco, I don't see the
point.

Rahul