Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 2004 15:03:39 -0500
From:      "Marius Kirschner" <marius@agoron.net>
To:        "'Matthew Seaman'" <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Changing Apache

> > Also, if I get a certificate for www.whatever.com will I be able to
> > refer to it via http:// and https://?
>
> Well, ish.  When you compile the port, you will be given the
> option to generate several flavours of test key.  These will
> permit the HTTPS server to work, but visitors will get
> pop-ups all the time warning that your site isn't trusted.
> You will have to generate a .csr (Certificate Signing
> Request) and send it off to one of the CAs to get it signed
> by a recognised key, and then everything will work smoothly.

Well, I realize I need to get an "official" certificate to avoid those
annoying pop-ups, but what I'm not sure about is whether I can go with a
cert for www.whatever.com and use that for my https pages, or if I need to
get a cert for something like secure.whatever.com and use that for https
while the www.whatever.com will remain strictly http?

I guess what I'm asking is, in the httpd.conf can I have 1 entry for the
same virtualhost - one for port 80 and the other for 443?

---Marius