Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:29:31 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote Single User Mode.

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004, Grant Peel wrote:
>Happy Easter all!
>
>Here is an off-the-wall question....

>I have 4 servers in Toronto (I live in London, about 120 miles south). Most
>admin I can do remotely of course, but I was wondering, if there exists a
>software/hardware solution that might actually allow one to reboot any one
>of the machines remotely and alllow access in single user mode. Obviously,
>that machine would not be accessable via the normal netwrk method, but
>again, is there a KVM - software that would allow local access in single
>user mode VIA a network connection to one of the other servers, or the KVM
>directly?

I haven't tried this on FreeBSD, but several years ago I had to do some
single user work on an SCO OpenServer box in Texas.  I had the owner of the
machine start sshd in single user mode, then I could ssh into the system to
work.  The SCO box activates the network in single user.  FreeBSD would
probably require starting network services manually.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these acceptance
speeches there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven.''
    Will Rogers