Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:16:38 +0200
From:      Albert Shih <shih@math.jussieu.fr>
To:        "Sheets, Jason (OZ CEEDR)" <jason.sheets@hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Very very slow

 Le 24/09/2004 à 13:57:55-0600, Sheets, Jason (OZ CEEDR) a écrit
> What type of SCSI controller are you using, was performance always very
> slow or has it just started recently, there isn't a lot of information
> in your message but it sounds a lot like a hardware issue to me though
> it could also be misconfiguration.
Adaptex 29320 Ultra 320 SCSI.

FreeBSD see a aic7901 driver.

Historic :

	I've install FreeBSD 5.1 "long time ago", everthing work fine.
Unfortunality I've need (in fact my users) some software don't work on
FreeBSD. Then I've install Linux RedHat 9, and everthing work fine. Now
I've opportunity to install a FreeBSD. Then I've install 5.2.1 and the disk
is very very slow. I really think the problem come from the disk.

Of course I've check :

	the disk
	the cable
	the scsi card
	any message in log
	change the scsi card

nothing work. The computer is always very slow

> Check /var/log and see if there are any error messages that explain it,
> are you certain you aren't experiencing failing hardware?

No there are no error messages and the computer work fine.... but like a
mono-pro 486 20Mhz, no crash

> Also is CPU utilization abnormally high, try running some disk benchmark
> utilities or otherwise measure I/O performance.

No the CPU utilization is normal

> Are you running a custom kernel, if so does it perform differently with
> the GENERIC kernel?

No I use GENERIC kernel. I've already re-install (after format disk)
FreeBSD 5.2.1. And nothing

> There are any number of things on the hardware or software side that can
> manifest as performance problems.

I known but it's very strange because I've two other computer and everthing
work fine. Then I've think it's harware problem. I've try to find
something, when I've find nothing I've remember the computer work fine
under Linux RedHat, then I've re-install Linux RedHat.....and everthing
work fine. The speed is correct under Linux.
Now I've re-install FreeBSD and I need

	32 sec to do

cd /usr/src
time find . -type f -print > /dev/null

and on other computer I just need 0.8 sec to do that.

But thanks you for your answer.

Regards

--
Albert SHIH