Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:50:54 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to shut down this list?

On Monday 27 December 2004 14:03, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> On Monday 27 December 2004 01:30 pm, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > The cool part is, we don't need somebody who can answer questions, or
> > even necessarily tell the user where to get them answered.  What we
> > really need is somebody to watch for threads that are veering off
> > into non-newbies-list topics and redirect those.
> >
> > I don't know that it really requires official moderation, though we
> > could do that if the list members don't respond appropriately to
> > suggestions by the nanny(ies).
>
> Well, I agree that this would likely be the best of both worlds: having
> moderation without having a moderator, per se, but it seems to me like
> the frequency of newbies asking for technical help on this list
> indicates a lack of clear communication of the group charter. I realize
> newbies are less inclined (in general) to read instructions, but
> perhaps this in itself is reason to make the charter more clear to
> people before they join.

One of my ideas is to come up with a short, succint version of the newbies
list charter and to have it appended to every message, as a list signature.
Would any of you "frequent newbie flyers" like to have a go at the text for
this?   This gentle reminder should inform them to seek help on technical
questions on the -questions list, and refer to the newbies list charter via
URL.

*You* of all people should know where to find the official list charter.  ;^)

--
         Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?
Wes Peters                                                wes@softweyr.com