Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:29:39 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        Stefan Walter <sw@gegenunendlich.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Athlon XP-M/PowerNow for desktop system?

Stefan Walter <sw@gegenunendlich.de> wrote:

> I considered an Athlon XP-M because it consumes less energy and should be
> cooler than the desktop variant. If you can't change the voltage of the
> CPU on an ATX board, that's OK, but I'm not sure if it's really worth
> buying it if I possibly can't throttle the frequency when it's idle.

     It may still be worthwhile, if you live in an area with expensive
electricity.  I've forgotten the exact numbers, but the XP-M CPUs tend
to use significantly less power than the regular desktop CPUs (something
like 30-40+W less).  A few months back, I built a 2200+ XP-M-based
system which only uses up around 80-90W, and this could have been even
lower, had I not also installed a power-hungry TV capture card
(Hauppauge PVR-250).

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com