Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:56:15 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Laptop questions

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

Hey all.

I'm on the verge of getting myself a laptop.  As this is my first
laptop, and I'm rewarding myself for a recent accomplishment, I
figured I'd go all out and get the top of the line Dell.  I know, IBM
has some great notebooks, as does Gateway and particularly Apple.  I'd
like to get an Apple, but that would be out of line with the reason
I'm rewarding myself.

Bottom line, I'll need to keep Windows on the system - relevant to the
event for which I'm rewarding myself.  Still, I'd really, REALLY like
to get FreeBSD (or some other *BSD) and/or *maybe* a Linux distro on
there as well.  The hard drive is going to be a 100G, so I could
probably squeeze at least 2 OSes on without much trouble.

So the question:  Has anyone successfully installed and run FreeBSD
(or any other *BSD or Linux distro) on a Dell Inspirion XPS Gen 2? I'm
planning to max out the RAM, include wireless networking, and sticking
with the 2GHz CPU.  Other than that, it's pretty standard fare.  Any
success stories would be most welcome.  If anyone has found that
FreeBSD is not suited for this system (yet), or a specific Linux
distro is ideally suited for this system, that would be a most welcome
piece of info as well.

Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
Please send off-list email to:         leblanc at keyslapper d.t net
Key fingerprint =3D C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2

Shannon's Observation:
  Nothing is so frustrating as a bad situation that is beginning to improve.

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J--