Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2005 10:54:29 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need urgent help regarding security

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 05:25:52PM -0800, Mark Jayson Alvarez wrote:
> Good Day!
>
> I think we have a serious problem. One of our old
> server running FreeBSD 4.9 have been compromised and
> is now connected to an ircd server..
> 195.204.1.132.6667     ESTABLISHED

I had a 4.9 box compromised though the ssh install (I'm certain it
wasn't openssh, but the base install), and was running an irc server
itself.

I just yanked the box off the net, and scrubbed it flat, and
reinstalled.  In my case, it wasn't worth the time to track who and
when and how; I needed to put the server back on the net.

Good luck on chasing them down.

Are you sure that effort is worth it to you?

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@numachi.com>
55 Crystal Ave. #286			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842