Date:      Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:21:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bad block -> file mapping

I have a hard disk that's been in service a long time.  I recently
installed the SMART monitoring tools.  On occasion, I get reports of
LBAs it can't read.  I'd like to map the LBA to an actual file in the
file system, if possible.  Does anybody have any tools that can help
me with this?

I know I need to get a new disk.  In the mean time, I need to cope
with these errors in a sane manner...

Warner

P.S.  Here's a sample report:

Num  Test_Description    Status           LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure     8949         65818210
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error     8948         -