Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:50:55 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Greg Rivers <gcr+freebsd-stable@tharned.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, "Michael R. Wayne" <freebsd@wayne47.com>
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O system hang on 5.4-RELEASE-p8 i386

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 04:44:46PM -0600, Greg Rivers wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Michael R. Wayne wrote:
>=20
> >Been fighting this for a while.  We have an older server, running
> >5.4-RELEASE-p8 i386 and used primarily for email, which hangs every
> >couple of weeks.  The hang seems to be in the disk I/O system; pings
> >succeed, and I can continue get a login: prompt on the console until
> >I enter a login at which the response stops.
> >[snip]
>=20
> I think you're seeing the UFS deadlock I reported last November for=20
> RELENG_6.  See the thread beginning at=20
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-November/019979.ht=
ml
>=20
> I believe this issue has made it onto the show-stopper list for=20
> 6.1-RELEASE and is being actively worked on.

It's on the todo list, but I don't think it's being worked on yet.
The main problem is that we need a way to reproduce it on command.
I'd forgotten that snapshots are involved, so maybe it's just a matter
of running lots of mksnap_ffs while I/O is in progress.

kris

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--