Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2007 13:54:25 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@flat.berklix.net>
To:        "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP initialisation changes 6.1-PRERELEASE and 6.1-RELEASE?

"Steven Hartland" wrote:
> Is anyone aware of any significant changes between 6.1-PRERELEASE
> and 6.1-RELEASE which could cause and SMP kernel to hang when
> initialising the CPU's?
>
> I have a Tyan s2892 based machine here which has been running
> 6.1-PRELEASE happily for months, I finally got round to updating
> to 6.1-RELEASE and it now just hangs. I've also tried 6.2-RC2
> and the same high happens with that.
>
> Also of note is that since updating to the latest BIOS on said
> machine 2.03 from 2.0 I'm constantly seeing:
> "calcru: runtime went backwards" messages from all processes
> including idle.
>
>     Steve

If you have old bins & kernel & src/, or spare old boot partition, or
another 6.1-PRERELEASE host to cross compile from: also worth
building another 6.1-PRERELEASE kernel, to see its perhaps a build
system or hardware problem ?  Or a loader.conf or kernel conf before
that disabled dual maybe, & got swept away in upgrade ?

> This e.mail is private and confidential between Multiplay (UK) Ltd. and

Entire World. Archived.

--
Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix C Net Consultancy, Munich/Muenchen  http://berklix.com
Mail Ascii, not HTML.		Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.