Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:27:54 -0500
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, "R. Tyler Ballance" <tyler@bleepsoft.com>, Brian Dean <bsd@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel hang on 6.x

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 11:50:43PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:

> The 'traceall' seemed to miss several threads actually (like pid
> 18).  Can you get a 'ps'?  Also, are you able to get a kernel dump
> when this happens?

I can't ps that particular session since it is no longer available,
however I can reproduce another one and generate a new set of debug
output.  One note, the "swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: ..."
timeout message may have been a result of a misconfigured secondary
swap file, so that might be a red herring.  However, we can still
reliably reproduce the hang with 32 Gig swap, but we don't get any
console messages associated with it.

The system is set up as a test system so I'm not under any pressure to
get it rebooted and back up when it hangs, so I have the ability to
take some time to debug it.

I believe that I can generate a kernel dump.  We tried this yesterday
but didn't have a dump device configured.  I think we've got that set
up now and plan to generate a kernel dump.  I'm assuming that since
the process size and swap size is so large, that the dump size is
going to be very large also, on the order of 32 Gig.  I beleive I can
host this on a server and make it accessible to you if you are willing
to download it.

-Brian