Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2007 14:34:11 -0600
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A bottleneck in gstripe?

--nextPart27907994.Xo71PBWzrl

I built a gstripe volume with 4 drives and a 128KB stripesize.  When runnin=
g=20
one particular application, gstat reports that stripe/stripe1 is 99% busy,=
=20
although its four drives are running at less than 30% each.  Am I=20
misinterpreting the numbers - maybe the total is the sum of the drives? -=20
or is there some giant overhead that I'm missing?

I've set kern.geom.stripe.fast=3D1, and kern.geom.stripe.fast_failed stays =
at=20
0.  I don't have enough experience with geom_strip to even know where to go=
=20
from here.  Are stripe sizes likely to make much of a difference when the=20
heaviest load is when PostgreSQL is receiving massive imports?  This is a=20
production system and I don't have the opportunity to play with it as much=
=20
as I'd like, so any pointers to experiments likely to make a difference=20
would be most welcome.
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser