Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2007 17:35:36 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fork wedging (I think)

--nextPart3784626.XMFZeWcX2j

On Thursday 01 March 2007 17:14, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >The problem seems to occur when the acquisition process (called the
> > Recorder) tries to fork off a new child.
>
> Your description and the ps output suggest a filesystem deadlock.

When it happened last time I had no problem running commands (ps, ls, gdb, =
etc=20
etc).

I think the difference this time was running sysctl which does touch a lot =
of=20
stuff (since I did sysctl -a)

> A console would make it easy.  My suggestion is to keep a shell open

Yeah it would be, alas it's in the middle of nowhere in northern Canada :)

> in /rescue and use './sysctl' (and other commands in rescue).  I think
> you will still be able to execute static executables in the current
> directory vis a relative path even if the FS is deadlocked.  (As long
> as your shell isn't trying to write command history to a file).

hmm.. I will see if I can maintain an open shell.. Going to be a PITA given=
=20
the length of time between failures.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."