Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:18:15 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latest Firefox fails on https

Quoting Joe Marcus Clarke, who wrote on Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 05:36:37PM -0500 ..

> On Wed, 2007-12-26 at 22:02 +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > In the hope I will not make a fool out of myself with this question:
> >
> > I just brought my laptop to the very latest 8-CURRENT.  Worked without a
> > hitch.
> >
> > As a side project I decided to also bring all ports up to date to the
> > latest.
> >
> > One of the ports is Firefox.
> >
> > Which now gives me the following error message on every https: URL that I
> > try:
> >
> > 	Unexpected response from server
> > 	Firefox doesn't know how to communicate with the server.
> >
> > 	    *   Check to make sure your system has the Personal Security Manager
> > 		  installed.
> > 	    *   This might be due to a non-standard configuration on the server.
> >
> > I now have built from ports:
> > 	firefox-2.0.0.11,1  Web browser based on the browser portion of Mozilla
> > 	nss-3.11.7          Libraries to support development of security-enabled applic
> >
> > A somewhat earlier Firefox 2.0.0.x (whatever the prebuilt packages server
> > currently carries) I fetched via pkg_add -r gave me the same error message.
> >
> > Firefox works just fine with normal http servers.
> >
> > Google gives me lots of "me too" and assorted Linux crud but nothing
> > relevant to FreeBSD unfortunately.
>
> Rebuild devel/nspr, security/nss, then www/firefox, and you should be
> fine.

Took a while (P3 1.2GHz laptop) but it does not work, same problem still.
I see firefox has a dependency on security/nss in its Makefile, the
devel/nspr I do not see listed?

What makes me suspicious is that the precompiled 8-current package exhibited
the same problem.

Wilko

--
Wilko Bulte				wilko@FreeBSD.org