Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 2008 22:13:14 +0200
From:      David Naylor <naylor.b.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ral, rum and bi-antenna

--nextPart1260664.98LXve3yzK

Hi,

I happen to have the good fortune of owning a RT2661S (ral driver) and a=20
RT2601USB (rum driver) [manufactured by Canyon].  Both chipsets have the=20
ability to handle two antenna. =20

Now the good fortune, both chipsets default to the wrong antenna.  When I=20
should be getting a stable connection at about -70dBm instead I am getting=
=20
very poor connection (less than 50% connectivity, reported from ping) and=20
about -90dBm. =20

After looking at the FreeBSD driver code (and the [Open/Net]BSD) the antenn=
a=20
selection is marked as *TBD*.  Does anyone know how to add antenna selectio=
n=20
(the ralink linux drivers are a wild maze).  I considered trying to do it=20
myself but I do not know the first thing about kernel hacking (let alone=20
chipset drivers) and have no idea where to start. =20

I was thinking a stop-gap solution will be to have the antenna selectable=20
using tunables/sysctl? =20

Needless to say I am very willing to try any patches (and even attempt to=20
create one myself if someone could point me in the right direction...). =20

Regards

David

P.S. Anyone know the release schedule for 6.4 and 7.1?