Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:33:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <hartmut.brandt@dlr.de>
To:        Vasyl Samoilov <vas@mts.com.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poor situation with snmp support in FreeBSD

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010, Vasyl Samoilov wrote:

VS>So far I found two options for snmp daemon - bsnmp and net-snmp. net-snmo
VS>giving back invalid data, bsnmp lacks some data at all.

Just two general remarks:

 - net-snmp is probably developed on Linux so it doesn't know how to
access many of the informations that is available in FreeBSD.

 - bsnmp is lacking developers (I'm the only one). I had a surgery in
november and took the 4 weeks after this to rewrite all the networking
stuff. It is in principle mostly up to date and supports also IPv6. The
problem is that I run out of time again and just cannot do the last steps
to release it (including testing). If there were people interested in it,
I would happily work with them.

harti