Date:      Wed, 4 May 2011 00:06:22 -0400
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, 'Dieter BSD' <dieterbsd@engineer.com>
Subject:   Re: [RELEASE] New Boot-Loader Menu

--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1

Devin,

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 08:45:14PM -0700, Devin Teske wrote:

>On Apr 30, 2011, at 8:11 PM, Jason Hellenthal wrote:
>
>>=20
>> Devin,
>>=20
>>=20
>> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 04:00:47PM -0700, Devin Teske wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> That's a bit more technically challenging. I'll have another look at the
>>> FICL words available, but I don't recall if there was a way to crawl the
>>> object space of the items loaded with ``load'' (looking for the uname).=
 I'm
>>> open to suggestions if you had an idea of how to do this in Forth -- el=
se
>>> I'd think this would need to be a loader(8) modification.
>>=20
>> How about forgetting a mention of unmae & ... instead look into if we
>> can support some sort of bootcode versioning to be displayed on the
>> screen. This would serve to be very helpful in the future when for say a
>> new version of bootcode for ZFS has to be installed then it would be
>> easy for announce@ to simply say "A new version of ZFS has been MFCd and
>> requires boot version >=3D X. To find out your version please see the
>> bottom right hand corner of your boot screen."
>>=20
>> I would place a pretty good bet that loader(8) could be modified to
>> export some sort of versioning of the bootcode to make this a easier
>> stance for the user to gather information before a upgrade.
>
>Piece of cake! If you give me a loader(8) that exports a "version" environ=
ment variable, I'll give the Forth functionality in mere seconds. It's alre=
ady been developed (but was not packaged).

>I have a module named "version.4th" which prints the value of the "version=
" environment variable at the bottom-right of the screen underneath the bea=
stie logo.

>Since you mention this, I'll add the code to the next package and if/when =
loader(8) ever exports a "version" environment variable, it will just magic=
ally appear. How's that sound?

Sounds perfect!

--=20

 Regards, (jhell)