Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:54:55 +0200
From:      Martin Sugioarto <martin@sugioarto.com>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Steve Franks <bahamasfranks@gmail.com>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD ?
References:  <CAOgwaMvsv3e1TxDauV038Pp7LRiYeH7oAODE%2Bw-pxHt9oGrXMA@mail.gmail.com> <20120604110339.GA9426@equilibrium.bsdes.net> <CAOjkAUe0_U==vjQGO77sQy=4JJ_e_ypoGpVbf1Mg62ttXATJYw@mail.gmail.com> <4FD2D4CC.3080109@ateamsystems.com> <4FD3003C.4080109@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <4FD352FF.9090101@ateamsystems.com> <4FD357F2.9090901@zedat.fu-berlin.de> <4FD35905.9080500@ateamsystems.com> <20120610121210.3ce1bd9d@zelda.sugioarto.com> <CADLo838gS7L=Sy9Giow1gYMtM2n4NnoHJWm8p3ZCvi6CZbMWhg@mail.gmail.com>

--Sig_/mdSH58OQl9a/fUq1FgOpNbV

Am Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:37:09 +0100
schrieb Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>:

> Er... people always test their commits.  Sometimes edge cases will
> creep in, such as the libreoffice failure which was due to different
> configurations, but to suggest that the commit wasn't tested is quite
> frankly insulting-- it built on a clean system perfectly well.

Hi,

I don't mean to insult anyone. As I have already told, I am really
thankful that people invest their precious time into updating the ports
collection.

Whatever "clean system" means. It is surely not the default case that
someone has got a freshly installed set of ports.

Among all the default problems with ports, libreoffice[1] adds to the
group of annoyances[2] at the moment. I don't know when I have seen
"portmaster -ad" run through successfully last time. I need more and
more "-x" options to exclude ports which fail to build.

[1] german/libreoffice and libreoffice fails all the time in
(LOCALIZED_LANG is set to "de"):

Module 'lingucomponent' delivered successfully. 12 files copied, 2
files unchanged

        Oh dear - something failed during the build - sorry !
  For more help with debugging build errors, please see the section in:
            http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development

  internal build errors:

ERROR: error 65280 occurred while
making /usr/workdir-ports/usr/ports/editors/libreoffice/work/libreoffice-co=
re-3.5.2.2/vcl/prj

 it seems that the error is inside 'vcl', please re-run build
 inside this module to isolate the error and/or test your fix:

Whatever this tries to tell me. I don't get it. This is a completely
useless error message for me.

[2] The default annoyances are for example:

- After updating perl, php or whatever, it makes sense to enforce
  updating the modules that belong to these ports. I've seen 100x the
  same message that p5-XML-Parser does not work and know what it means,
  but this should be resolved by the port system. I mean, when you
  update perl, the perl modules won't work anymore. This is totally
  clear and it makes sense to update them first before going on.

- When specifying WITHOUT_X11 the ports should respect this and not try
  to pull in the X11 variants of ports. I regularly see some ports
  pulling ImageMagick instead of the already installed
  ImageMagick-nox11. I still do not fully understand what is going on
  with WITHOUT_GNOME, but I'll try to figure it out later. But I am
  quite sure that some ports pull in unneeded Gnome dependencies.

- Ports are being marked as interactive and stop the update process. The
  idea behind portmaster was (earlier) to avoid interactive building of
  ports and ask all the needed questions, before the builds start. I
  mean, earlier, I could get out and enjoy some coffee outdoors, now I
  have to sit at the keyboard. This is unacceptable! ;)

- It would be nice to have a mechanism that tells you that your perl,
  mysql or whatever is not the default version anymore and you should
  consider updating to the default (and recommended) port.

Martin