Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2012 02:01:35 -0400
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Aldis Berjoza <graudeejs@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TeXLive merge into FreeBSD ports tree - FreeBSD project idea

On Wed, May 30, 2012, Aldis Berjoza wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2012 22:45:37 +1200
> Sam Lin <sam.lin4ml@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Hi FreeBSD fellows,
> >
> > Those who are using LaTeX on FreeBSD must know that tetex has been
> > discontinued years ago and that TeXLive is now recommended, however
> > TeXLive has never been merged in the ports tree on FreeBSD and that
> > tetex is still used on FreeBSD ports. Although there have been some
> > "customized" work so that FreeBSD users can install and use TeXLive
> > on FreeBSD machine (for example,
> > http://code.google.com/p/freebsd-texlive/wiki/Installing), this is
> > quite confusing and may still cause conflict on the system side when
> > using or maintaining it.
> >
> > There has also been years of gossips that a Japanese developer Hiroki
> > Sato (hrs@freebsd) has been working on this matter for the last years
> > and therefore the FreeBSD admin panel don't want anyone else to work
> > on this and merge it into the ports tree.
> >
> > I actually contacted Hiroki Sato in the beginning of last year (2011)
> > regarding this, and in his reply he said that there had been several
> > technical issues but most of them had been solved and almost ready to
> > merge into the port tree, and that he was planning to go forward
> > after the 8.2/7.4 releases (one or two weeks later from that time
> > stage) are out. However, more than a year has passed since then and
> > still nothing happened. I tried to contact him several times after
> > that (email, tweet, etc) but haven't heard anything back from him at
> > all.
> >
> > Is TeXLive really going to be merged into the FreeBSD ports tree as
> > Hiroki Sato mentioned previously? Or is this just a myth??
> >
> > I am now thinking that this should be put into the "FreeBSD Project
> > ideas List" [http://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage].
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sam
> >

> Hey, Sam!
>
> I which TeXLive would be merged in FreeBSD ports. Romain is doing great
> job maintaining it. And it work, And it work now. In fact it works for
> more than a year.

I have used his TeXLive ports through portshaker for a while.
They work pretty well, but there are some issues due to the fact
that the TeXLive folks have some strange ideas.  For one, TeXLive
is split into over 2000 packages, many of which are tiny; the
FreeBSD package system doesn't handle that very well.  For another,
TeXLive now has its own (dubious) package manager, tlmgr, which
doesn't play well with other package management systems.

I'm not a ports committer, but perhaps a good first step to
getting TeXLive working better in FreeBSD is to introduce a
TeTeX vs TeXLive knob in the ports tree so that people don't
wind up accidentally clobber their TeXLive install when TeTex
gets pulled in as a dependency.