Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:16:17 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: doom, quake, hexen...

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 00:05:17 +0700, Victor Sudakov wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
> > >
> > > Please advise if there are any 3D shooters in the ports collection
> > > which work out of the box on 9.0-STABLE (amd64)? None of those I have
> > > tried work for a number of irritating reasons, like e.g.
> > >
> > > games/uhexen: http://pastebin.com/ZaJ74eaa
> >
> > MIDI load failed:/etc/timidity.cfg: No such file or directory
> >
> > Install timidity++ from ports to get MIDI background music support.
>
> Actually I have compiled it WITHOUT_MUSIC. Anyway, recompiling with background
> music support does not make things any better:
>
> Starting Hexen!
> XDM authorization key matches an existing client!V_Init: allocate screens.
> M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
> W_Init: Init WADfiles.
> DEMO IWAD detected!
> Z_Init: Init zone memory allocation daemon.
> MN_Init: Init menu system.
> CT_Init: Init chat mode data.
> S_InitScript
> SN_InitSequenceScript: Registering sound sequences.
> I_Init: Setting up machine state.
> SDL Audio opened successfully.
> ST_Init: Init startup screen.
> Executable: U-Hexen 0.5 build Aug 20 2012.
> R_Init: Init Hexen refresh daemonTextures Bus error (core dumped)

"Bus error" doesn't sound good.

> > > games/doom: http://pastebin.com/XdrCwzvn
> >
> > doom-1.10_5 is only for i386, while you are running amd64.
> >
> > A precise message.
>
> Does not make me any happier.

But at least it tells the truth from the beginning.

> > > games/quake2lnx even pretends to do something: it opens a tiny X11
> > > window with some flickering rubbish and plays some farting sounds to
> > > the audio system.
> > >
> > > Is there any working 3D shooter in the ports collection my 8 year old
> > > son could enjoy?
> >
> > How about OpenArena? I'm currently playing it with pals via
> > Internet. Okay, not at this moment, as I'm writing this
> > message, obviously... :-)
>
> This is some multiuser game, isn't it? I was looking for something one
> could play alone, like Doom or Hexen.

You actually have a series of levels to play against computer
enemies (AI), but it's not that it contains a "story" like
DooM or Quake.

> I have some WADs from the old
> DOS CDs and from BBSes.

Try to load them with lsdldoom or prboom (I've tried both in
the past).

> > First make sure all your 3D stuff runs fine. Install "xlockmore"
> > and test it with:
> >
> > 	% xlock -nolock -mode lament
> > 	% xlock -nolock -mode fire
> >
> > Works fine?
>
> Yes, it does. In fact, I use xlock as my screensaver all the time.

Very good, so there will be _no_ problem related to 3D, which
often is the main issue for those games.

> > Next consideration:
> >
> > Games in ports collection that run out of the box (even though I
> > still have 8.2-STABLE/x86 here) include DooM 3 and Quake 4.
>
> If I wanted a linux game, I would use the linux notebook. I am very
> reluctant in install half-a-penguin on my FreeBSD box just to play a
> game.

I also had to apply some tweaks to get those games running, it's
at least not trivial.

> > I've
> > also tried RTCW, but except a grey fullscreen I get nothing.
> > Music plays, I can move the mouse and listen to the main menu
> > choices "clicking", but I don't see anything. For older DooM
> > ports, I've successfully been playing DooM, DooM II and Heretic
> > using lsdldoom port on a 300 MHz P2. Note lsdldoom also supports
> > OpenGL graphics.
>
> Which port is it? "make search key=lsdldoom" finds nothing.

Oh, it's "doomlegacy".

> > I could also play Quake, Quake 2 from ports,
> > and Jedi Knight II via wine.
>
> Oh, is there really nothing native?

No, that game is far too old, but Quake and Quake 2 have ports
(to native FreeBSD) which work very nicely with the original
files from the DOS version. Still it was playable more than 5
years ago, so even considering the ongoing disimprovement, it
should run today. :-)

Maybe even other older DOS shooters (Duke Nukem 3D, Chasm,
Shadow Warrior, Dark Forces, Blood and so on) could be easily
run using a VM or emulator?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany