Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2017 13:36:48 +0000
From:      Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie@catflap.org>
To:        khanzf@gmail.com, bsd-lists@BSDforge.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

"Chris H" <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com> wrote:

> Which means; posting replies ABOVE the thread dialog. It completely
> corrupts the flow (see; thread) and makes it impossible to follow along
> in history -- especially from the archived FreeBSD mailing list. Answers
> to questions will never be found. Answers will be left dangling, and make
> no sense...
> So (technically, and historically) this has always been considered; rude.
> Nothing personal. Just felt it was important to point out.

And related to that is editting/pruning the message you're replying to ;-)

Anyway, these lists turned into a spam fest of incomprehensible top posts
and unedited quoting a long time ago. No one (else) seems to care anymore.
:-(

As for the fortune bikeshed, I think there are 2 seperate issues that have
been raised, and conflated.

1) Whether the offensive datafile should have been removed.

2) The potentially POLA, unannounced, undiscussed, arbitary decision of
   someone to make such a change on a whim.

Some reactions to the latter have been taken as responses to the former.

cheers