Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2019 14:21:25 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ansible for FreeBSD - use cases?

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

Ruben wrote:
>=20
> I've been using ansible in production for both Linux and FreeBSD for a=20
> couple of years now. There are about 150 Linux servers and 50 FreeBSD=20
> our team manages.
>=20
> Our main usecases for using ansible specifically on/for FreeBSD targets:
>=20
> - user management
>=20
> The user modules are running fine on FreeBSD.
>=20
> - pf management
>=20
> The blockinfile module together with jinja2 functionality really kicks as=
s.
>=20
> - setting up GELI/ZFS/NFS
>=20
> We use several modules to orchestrate zfs fileservers: blockinfile,=20
> raw/shell , service,  etc

Thanks a lot for enumerating a few modules which can be useful for FreeBSD
administration.

>=20
> The only stuff that - in my experience - is cumbersome to orchestrate=20
> with Ansible:
>=20
> - portstree  compiles (for which we (try) to use portmaster with the Q=20
> branches of the portstree)

Did you consider compiling centrally in poudriere and then installing
the binary packages with pkgng on the managed hosts?

> - freebsd-update (crossing . releases, so using the "upgrade" switch)

Do you administer freebsd-update within one release with Ansible too?

>=20
> Ansible integrates quite nicely with Jinja2, which allows us to=20
> configure/adminstrate all applications we run on FreeBSD servers.

Please tell if Jinja2 (which port is that?) has to be installed on the
Ansible controller only, or on every managed host?

> I think using a framework to administer stuff that is used by many other=
=20
> sysadmins makes more sense than writing one's own framework. I don't=20
> know of any other orchestration framework out there that is OS and only=
=20
> needs ssh/python in order to function, thats why I use Ansible.

Thanks for the positive review! One more question: have you ever had
problems and disasters caused by Ansible modules? After all, they are
pieces of software written probably by a Linux-minded person modifying
your FreeBSD system's vitals. Does it not sound a bit scary?

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft