Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2020 07:36:44 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is the "better / best " method to multi-boot different OSes natively WITHOUT VirtualBox(es) ?

On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 23:57:05 +0000 (UTC), doug@safeport.com wrote:
>I would be interested in opinions on the best hard disks.
                          ^^^^^^^^
                          a good chosen word, since not many
                          undisputed facts do exist

In my experiences a batch of series x of vendor y could be very good or
bad and for the next batch it could be vice versa or a good series is
discontinued. Interesting are statistics from Google. I don't have a
link at hand, but I remember that they successfully used consumer
instead of enterprise disks and IIRC what Google experienced with
countless disks, was similar to my experiences with just a few disks. I
read an article years ago.

IOW related to the lifespan it seems to be a lotto draw.

Related to performance simple technical facts and clear measurements
do exist. It was already hinted by this thread.

Shingled magnetic recording makes drives inexpensive, because it does
increase storage capacity. Due to the procedure it is required to
rewrite tracks, which results in performance lags. Different SMR drives
suffer from different performance lags. However, more expensive drives,
not using SMR technology tend to be faster when writing data.

In the end you need to read a lot of papers and decide on your own what
is "the best" for you or in your opinion.