Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 2021 20:01:17 +0100
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   console: no USB keyboard!

--Sig_/20lb/8RXvCyUqn5iVDUlzLX

Running 14-CURRENT on several boxes (i.e. FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #49
main-n245422-cecfaf9bede9: Fri Mar 12 16:08:09 CET 2021 amd64) with custom =
and/or GENERIC
kernel and USB-only equipment (mouse if available, keyboard).
In multiuser mode, there is no problem using the USB keyboard. On single us=
er console
(for maintenance purposes), no USB keyboard is available. The same is true =
while booting
and the rc scripts are worked on. Usually, one can hit the enter key and in=
serts a
newline, this doesn't work anymore until the box is completely up!=20

I do not know when this problem as been introduced, the very same config is=
 used since
13-CURRENT in its earlier time and has been modified accordingly, but I can=
't see obvios
changes which would explain the wrecked behaviour now.=20

I got aware of this problem, when a small mistake in /etc/fstab rendered a =
box
unbootable, I had to head for the datacenter and wasn't even capable of int=
errupting the
stuck system. Checking on other boxes running recent 14-CURRENT revealed th=
e same problem.

The interesting part is, that as long as those boxes are with the loader pr=
esent (all
boxes are UEFI booting!), the USB keyboard works as expected and I'm able t=
o select
kernel/kernel.old and so on.

How to fix this?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,