Date:      Wed, 19 May 2021 19:32:43 +0200
From:      Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zpool upgrade and bootcode on 13-RELEASE

On Wed, 19 May 2021 19:09:06 +0200
Kurt Jaeger <pi@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > Does this mean, re-installing the bootcode isn't necessary anymore
> > - or has the warning been removed by accident/as a side effect of
> > merging with OpenZFS?
>
> On the contrary, because of the switch from FreeBSD ZFS to
> OpenZFS, the bootcodes needs to be updated! It's unfortunate
> that no message is displayed 8-(

That's too bad - maybe it would make sense to mention this in the
release errata?

> The problem is, finding out which bootcode needs to go where etc.

For the machines in question it was a straightforward legacy layout, so
that was easy enough (they came back up just fine - *phew*).

Do you think there is any chance to get the warning back in there?
Maybe in a more generic way, like:

  In case you're booting from <poolname>, please make sure to update
  the bootcode according to your partition layout. See `man zfsboot'
  for details.

Fun fact: That man page already exists (I had no idea), but could use
some love - e.g., add the EFI examples you gave.

Best
Michael

--
Michael Gmelin