Date:      Tue, 19 Apr 2022 21:45:44 +1000
From:      matti k <mattik@gwsit.com.au>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, danfe@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia-driver and no update in /usr/ports/UPDATING

On Fri, 8 Apr 2022 00:00:34 +0100
tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Trying to be a good sysadmin, i like to regularly update.

The latest repo seems to have dropped the 470.x driver I need

$ pkg -vv | grep url
    url : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest"

$ pkg search nvidia-driver
nvidia-driver-510.60.02        NVidia graphics card binary drivers for
hardware OpenGL rendering nvidia-driver-304-304.137_9    NVidia
graphics card binary drivers for hardware OpenGL rendering
nvidia-driver-340-340.108_3    NVidia graphics card binary drivers for
hardware OpenGL rendering nvidia-driver-390-390.147      NVidia
graphics card binary drivers for hardware OpenGL rendering

I have a kepler card and it needs the 470.x driver to work but pkg
wants to upgrade it to the 510.x driver,  which fails to work

I often wonder why some pkgs disappear from the latest repo (I guess
the answer is easy and should use quarterly) but is there a way to
track why they break and possibly assist somehow?

Currently installing freebsd on an old laptop and scratching head which
nvidia-driver to use,  maybe 390?  seems dmesg/messages don't show this
until after installing an nvidia driver which may or may not work