Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2023 09:41:25 +0100
From:      Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem while moving HOME from FreeBSD to MacOS with bsdtar

El día Donnerstag, März 09, 2023 a las 08:18:35 +0000, Steve O'Hara-Smith escribió:

> On Thu, 9 Mar 2023 08:43:28 +0100
> Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> wrote:
>
> > I have had to move in my office from a FreeBSD in a VM to a Mac.
> > To not loose my HOME I created a tar archive on FreeBSD and restored it
> > with tar into the Mac (all details about versions see below). The tar
> > archive contains a lot of dirs and file (~30.000) and one dir is
> > guru/Mail where a mbox file guru/Mail/purism exists. It also exists a
> > plain file guru/mail (note: the dir is with capital M). This leads on
>
> 	You seem to have the default case insensitive filesystem setup on
> MacOS, you can change it - more details here:
>
> https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/disk-utility/dsku19ed921c/mac

I don't think, that this is the case:

APITZM-1MBPOH:~ apitzm$ touch Homework HOMEWORK
APITZM-1MBPOH:~ apitzm$ ls -l Homework HOMEWORK
-rw-r--r--  1 apitzm  OCLC\Domain Users  0  9 Mär 09:37 HOMEWORK
-rw-r--r--  1 apitzm  OCLC\Domain Users  0  9 Mär 09:37 Homework

Note also in my originam mail that both names exist:

APITZM-1MBPOH:~ apitzm$ ls -ld guru/Mail guru/mail
-rw-r--r--  1 apitzm  OCLC\Domain Users  4016  9 Nov 12:36 guru/Mail
-rw-r--r--  1 apitzm  OCLC\Domain Users  4016  9 Nov 12:36 guru/mail

but that guru/Mail was created as a plain file, why it is in the tar
archive a directory.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru@unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045