Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2023 06:32:14 +0900
From:      Tomoaki AOKI <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has the update procedure changed?
References:  <CAN6yY1tiq4XQT_apnLo_aDgoMPEZ%2BZ4PfB8uqfMw3PeJbMGMqw@mail.gmail.com> <7A0E604D-EF40-4F10-B597-F1F076507192@gmail.com> <CAN6yY1teCLbtaN6V-fQqa0WTvrbWaOjy%2BB7F=bSq3t0Ue_ROVw@mail.gmail.com> <ZNEXzR0IL7%2BIDShe@c720-r368166> <CAN6yY1tFAxofH1JfkwfAZGuZ96BcvHHErS=64jWFr2E1zMha6w@mail.gmail.com> <20230809213822.950a3c337ec86c102dcbd235@dec.sakura.ne.jp> <ZNOLfRFoumQam4Lc@albert.catwhisker.org>

On Wed, 9 Aug 2023 05:50:05 -0700
David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 09, 2023 at 09:38:22PM +0900, Tomoaki AOKI wrote:
> >
> > Please correct me if I'm missing something.
> > I use source update for years and not using bsdinstall nor
> > freebsd-update.
> >
> > Does bsdinstall (and/or freebsd-update) create the first current tree
> > for etcupdate, if not yet exists?
> >
> > This would be most confusing and harmful point of etcupdate.
> > When I first tried etcupdate, I didn't noticed that I needed
> > `etcupdate extract -B` BEFORE UPDATING src tree.
> > Without this, etcupdate cannot detect what should be updated, even if a
> > plenty of updates are required.
> >
> > At the moment, I must use mergemaster, and after that, `etcupdate
> > extract -B` for next run.
> >
> > I think bsdinstall can create current tree, which is turned over to old
> > tree on actual run, for etcupdate.
> > So do freebsd-update. It would be able to create current tree JUST
> > BEFORE INSTALLING UPDATE.
> >
> > I was helped by mergemaster, but after it completely retires, features
> > above should be mandatory.
>
> TL;DR: Please see the "Bootstrapping" section of etcupdate(8).

I know. ;-) I'm using etcupdate when it first MFC'ed to latest stable
branch ATM, and bitten at the first time.

Anyone not familiar with etcupdate would bitten by forgotton
bootstrapping. :-(

> Details: I have been doing source-based updates of FreeBSD since around
> 1999.  As such, I used mergemaster for a long time, and got used to it.
>
> With the switch to git, the $FreeBSD$ lines in config files became ...
> well, misleading noise.  And since mergemaster tried to use them, that
> didn't work very well.  This provided the incentive I needed to switch
> to etcupdate.
>
> And... yeah; there was a "learning curve."  And the "bootstrapping" bit
> is necessary.  But it has worked well for me since.

Yes. But if bsdinstall and freebsd-update automatically bootstrap
etcupdate if not yet done, newbies and casual users wouldn't be bitten.

For source-based update users like us,

 *Bootstrapping section of man page should be near the top,
  for example, betweem DESCRIPTION and MODES section, not inside
  EXAMPLES section.

 *Also documented in UPDATING (or new document for common instructions)
  and handbook.

should be needed.
etcupdate cannot extract old tree from already-updated src.
So anyone forgotton bootstrapping is forced to roll back src for
bootstrapping and roll forward again BEFORE installworld, once
mergemaster dissapears.

--
Tomoaki AOKI    <junchoon@dec.sakura.ne.jp>