Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 14:54:56 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [SSH] Session Problem w/ 2 FreeBSDs

Lo ppl,

i've set up a FreeBSD server in the Intranet, so that we (my team and i) can
use it
for testing purposes and hacking. My colleagues use W2K and can connect to
the server
via their SSH immedeatly, but when i try to connect to it (i'm using FreeBSD
as my
workstation-OS), it hangs a while until it prompts me for the password.

Curious about what the reason might be, i startet the SSH-server in debug
mode (sshd
-ddd), and got that line right before the hang:

debug3: Trying to reverse map address 210.104.1.133.

That IP is my WS'. After a minute (i think), i receive the password-prompt
at my
client, and the server tells me:

Could not reverse map address 210.104.1.133.
debug1: PAM setting rhost address to "210.104.1.133".
debug3: Attempting authentication for pg.

Once i'm in, i can type and see the commands right away.

Whats the reason for this lag? Maybe some sort of resolve name of host
issue? Any
hints appreciated. Thx!

http://www.gmx.net