Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:44:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        William Bradford <mrbill@frenzy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NetBSD (and FreeBSD) video support

> Does NetBSD 1.3.2 (and therefore FreeBSD) support the Matrox Millenium
> PCI-bus video card under X?  If it does, I can get this horrid AlphaLinux
> monstrosity off my machine... 8-)

Nope.  CGD sent me a really nice detailed message (which I have yet to
reply to - oops!) detailing why XFree86 servers weren't proving to be
very portable to the Alpha hardware platform without lots and lots of
compat hacks which, apparently, the Linux folks have done.  Whether we
or NetBSD will ever manage this (without gagging) is an open question.

- Jordan