Date:      Sat, 24 May 2014 19:32:16 -0700
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Do _any_ USB 3.0 cards actually work?

In message <alpine.BSF.2.00.1405242010430.97320@wonkity.com>, you wrote:

>On Sat, 24 May 2014, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>
>> Does FreeBSD support the "VIA VL800 Chipset" that this add-on card
>> is alleged to contain?
>
>Sorry, no idea.
>
>> Does FreeBSD *ever* work with *any* USB 3.0 equipment?  Or is this
>> just a far off dream?
>
>I used this card along with a USB 3 drive dock to copy a fair amount of
>data:
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815287015

Thanks Warren!

(I wish I had consulted with you two weeks ago before purchasing the
2+2 port HooToo card.)

>Admittedly, I'm a bit skeptical about USB 3 given how long USB 2 took to
>mature in the industry as a whole.

As I've been saying, it all seems to work just fine on Linux.

>If possible, I'd prefer SATA/eSATA or Ethernet for transferring large
>amounts of data.

Unfortunately, the HTPC I have in the livingroom doesn't have an eSATA
port.  (And there are no slots for any add-in cards or even space to
put an eSATA socket/connector.)

It does however have two (2) USB 3.0 built-in ports.

P.S.  Somebody on www.newegg.com said that that Vantec card contains a
Renesas D720200A chipset.  So I guess we can check that one off as
"supported".

Wish I had known that the VIA VL800 isn't.