Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 16:57:43 -0400
From:      Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Harlan Stenn <Harlan.Stenn@pfcs.com>, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: contrib-utized am-utils?

> > I've contrib-utized am-utils, which should be a replacement for the current
> > amd stuff.
> >
> > The stuff I've done is suitable for both -stable and -current.
> >
> > Anybody have the time/inclination to review and commit?
>
> Have you addressed the stability and configuration issues?
>
> I recall that there were some comments regarding problems that had been
> experienced with am-utils, and I don't recall hearing whether they were
> commandline-compatible or whether we are looking at changes to the /etc/
> files to match...

Thanks for your response.

I didn't mess with the "content" of am-utils.

Folks were complaining that amd is old and buggy, and is missing features
that were in am-utils.

I just contrib-utized the beast, in a way that it will work for both
-current and -stable, and future versions of am-utils should just drop-in.

There was a flurry of email about "ports or contrib", because there was
general agreement that folks *wanted* to convert from amd to am-utils, and
all that was needed was for somebody to step up to the plate and do the
work.  There is a an open bug report (bin/6353, as I recall) on this, too.

Based on this, I decided to do the work.

If y'all are now no longer interested in it, that's fine - just let me
know, and I won't spend/waste any more of my time or y'all's on things like
this.

(I hope whoever I sent the tarball to still has it - I can't seem to locate
it now, and I'm currently unwilling to re-invest the time to recreate my
efforts.)